12 March 2012

My very first Mac lipstick!

Having scratched my head over how to start my blogging experience in terms of which post I wanted to open with, I decided that I would go back a few years and reminisce about my first ever Mac lipstick purchase. I still remember the day well.  Having always pooh-poohed the idea of wearing lipstick (I always believed lipstick was made for those blessed with an Angelina-esque pout and that those without should stick to gloss or balms – mad I know!!) I finally took the plunge and sauntered along to the Mac counter in Selfridges to join the ‘I need the assistance of a Mac pro’ queue. 

After a short wait I was paired with a lovely, smiley oriental girl whose own makeup looked minimalist but very pretty nonetheless. My brief was simple. I wanted the lipstick equivalent of Mac’s Lust Lipglass. For those who are not familiar with Lust, it’s a muted pink verging on the taupe side and quite simply a universally flattering shade. Whilst she was unable to find an exact match to this gloss, she did come up trumps in finding me a lipstick which was greatly comparable in shade; we both decided on ‘Hug Me’ which Mac describe as ‘flesh pink’. I would say that this accurately describes the lipstick. If it’s a pinky lipstick that you’re after, this will not be the shade for you as this gears towards the brown





There were other factors which contributed towards the choosing of this particular lipstick. I explained that I did tend to suffer from dry lips, particularly in the winter and this was another reason I steered clear of lipsticks whilst opting for moisturising balms instead.  She therefore advised that I go for a Lustre lipstick as this would provide my lips with a sheer colour with a sheen finish which would combat any dryness. As I was taking the lipstick plunge, I didn’t want a lipstick that was too obvious in colour and this shade was perfect for adding that slight bit of colour wand a glossy finish which almost resembled a pigmented balm. I would say that this is my perfect MLBB (my lips but better) shade.  I’m already on my third lipstick in this shade and I can’t see myself getting bored of it any time soon. It’s definitely my ‘go to’ lipstick on a day to day basis, whether at work or meeting friends.  This purchase triggered the start of my love affair with lipsticks - that’s not to say that I went on a mad lipstick shopping spree but I did tend to be more open and objective when visiting make up counters. If I am to be completely honest, I probably ended up making a few lipstick faux pas in all my enthusiasm (posts to follow...) but the point is that it opened my eyes up and made me explore the idea of allowing colour to be placed on my lips!




 

What was your first ever Mac lipstick and do you have a MLBB shade? Let me know!


Best,


Rakhsana

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment